Boycott. Trending word. Now as I have read from Facebook and Twitter, I observed there are two separate views on the issue. Well, I am sure there are more opinions than just two, but these are the ones that stand out.
First "clan" : Agree and supporting. Bashing up the McDonald's deed in giving out free muffins today. Is it muffins? I don't really care since I am at home. :P I had cookies though this morning, which I supposed taste better than the McMuffins since they are home baked last night. Anyway, summing up, this group of people are saying that we should boycott what can be boycotted to show that we care. The root of their stand is simple. "Would you spend money only to help funding the ruins of your brothers and sisters?"
Second "clan" : This group sorts of disagree with the idea of boycotting. They believe that there are other ways rather than boycotting as they thought that it is somewhat old fashioned. As for the free McMuffins issue, they stood on the ground to believe McDonalds Malaysia's statement that the corporation has nothing to do with the funding thus offering free McMuffins as a sign of faith. Their root is also plain. "If you are boycotting, should you not boycott everything that has the connection with the Israelis which include Facebook, Google and what not?"
Haish. Tough decision. But then again I believe in personal opinions. My ground is that everyone has their own factors which lead to their decisions. Whether or not they wish to boycott, I believe it is up to the individual. Do not be judgmental towards their actions and bash them up. However, if you join in the cause to boycott, then it will be splendid. I am fully aware and understand how some things and brands have become apart of our daily lives. To be honest, I have Maybelline, Loreal, Garnier, Nestle and many other products in my current possession. Not to mention, I am a huge fan of Starbucks. Perhaps, if it is hard to do so promptly, we can try taking slow steps by finding other alternatives. I am convinced that if we try, we can. So even if we cannot boycott all, boycotting some is also an effort. Therefore, do not be so judgmental towards those who you see are not boycotting.
My stand in this matter?
A few years back, when the boycotting issue first came to my knowledge, I was still pursuing my Diploma at the time. When the issue was hot, I found myself into the boycotting cause. However, when the matter resides, as in when Israel stopped the attacks on Palestin, I started scouring for McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.
And now, I find myself to where I started. I am not sure if it happens only to me, or others are like myself as well. So it got me into thinking. Why wasn't I boycotting till the end? That one question I myself cannot answer. Even if I could, it would be shameful.
My roommate said, "Walk the talk". That is the hardest point in preaching. And I guess, that is the most important thing. To walk. And not just solely talking. Words can't never get to destinations if you don't walk, can they? I cannot make a vow that I will never ever buy an Israeli products anymore. But I supposed, it is worth a try. If not all, some would make a difference. It is like recycling. Although others are not doing, only one person is doing, he is changing the world, even though it is on a very small scale.
Conclusions:
1. Try, even if you may fail. You change the world just by trying.
2. Efforts may seem very small. But, small acts have ripple effects.
3. It takes each individual to be responsible of himself. Like Michael Jackson used to say,
I'm starting with the man in the mirror,
I'm asking him to change his ways,
And no message could have been any clearer,
If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself and make a change.
All in all, now I see the necessity of us Muslims to be powerful and rich.
For more info on Israeli products, please read : Products List
Since we're not buying fast food anytime soon, hopefully reducing our dosage of em, even better not buying at all, I supposed we can do good with our extra RM5 or RM10 ? Come, let's help our brothers and sisters who are in need! Even if it is not a lot, it may make a huge change to them!
Please visit Islamic Relief Malaysia to donate. They are trying to collect RM 1 mil for the Gaza victims.
If anyone is cruel, he cannot be more cruel than them Israelis. May Allah protects those in Gaza . May their spirits be strong and indestructible.



0 comments:
Post a Comment